The government is providing additional funding to improve provision of Physical Education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding is referred to as the Sports Premium and is provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport. The funds must be spent on improving the school's provision of PE and sport.
At St Mary’s Catholic Primary School we believe that Physical Education, School Sport and Healthy Active Lifestyles are central to each pupil’s physical development and well-being.
We recognise the importance of every child establishing life-long habits and developing physical, mental and social well-being. For the last six years since the introduction of Sports Premium, this vision has had a major impact on outcomes across our school.
Physical activity is a high priority at our school, it is firmly embedded before school, during lesson time, during breaks and lunchtimes and after-school. Our ambition over the last six years, has been to raise the profile of sport and physical activity to ensure that every pupil develops a love of sport to allow them to achieve their full physical potential and change their life for the better.
At St Mary’s Catholic Primary School Sports Premium Funding is highly valued and we are committed to ensuring it is spent to maximum effect.
The funding must be used to make additional and sustainable improvements to the quality of PE and Sport. Sports Premium should be used to build capacity within the school and we are working to ensure that improvements made will benefit pupils in future years.
There are 5 Key Indicators that we are focused on and which we are seeing significant improvements across:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
A detailed plan for use of our Sports premium funding against the 5 Key Indicators is detailed below.
Please find the Funding Overview for 2019/2020 below